2019 Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Program
Thank You for Supporting our "NO Harm" Farming!
The Sycamore Spring Farm CSA is a project of passion and love for our "Farm Family" members, our Animal Friends and our Planet. We purpose to become a model for Sustainable Living and Educational Outreach to the LOCAL Community.
Sycamore Spring is a small working "homestead" type farm where we raise over 60 different varieties of fruit, vegetables, and herbs alongside free range beef, goats and poultry. Our “Better than Organic” naturally grown products are grown without chemical fertilizers or pesticides, with emphasis on soil health, conservation and permaculture practices.
Membership in the SSF/CSA is available to like-minded folks who pledge in advance to cover the farms expenses to produce their "share" of the farm's produce. These CSA supporters/members understand that farming can be risky and that there is no guarantee of bumper crops. They know the benefits and risks and believe in the importance of preserving the small, artisan farmer who genuinely cares about achieving superior nutritional quality of heirloom and heritage foods while restoring the health and welfare of our planet. Members also experience common bonds of connecting with the land, the farm and farmers of integrity that produce their food.
CSA Members contribute their financial and/or physical support to the farm, understand the inherent risks of crop failures and in return receive the following privileges:
* Weekly produce pickup: a choice assortment of seasonal, natural farm grown produce from Sycamore Spring Farms in MD and PA. We also use "Hand-Picked" (by Farmer Carol) Farm Partners to grow some of our diverse and specialty produce for greater variety and insurance against crop failure.
* Access to wholesome farm produced eggs, honey, poultry, meats, goats milk soaps, jam, preserves and canned goods, baked items, etc.
* Pick-your-own (as nature provides): berries, cherries, tomatoes, figs, grapes, flowers and herbs.
* Farm tours and access/use of cook-out & picnic areas for family & friends.
* Annual farm festival-usually 3rd weekend in October.
* Educational food nutrition highlights and preservation information literature.
* Seasonal newsletters. March, June & September Issues.
* Monthly harvest recipe sheets and Weekly Farm Page FaceBook Posts.
* FREE Workshops and educational videos..
Visit.... a simpler way of life! Convenient to Interstate Routes 70 & 270, we're closer than you ever thought.
The farm is a unique place seeming to take you back to a simpler time. Many remember similar feelings from their childhood visits to a family or neighbor farm. Others experience it for the first time here at Sycamore Spring. Members are encouraged to enjoy the homestead atmosphere and observe the simple gardens and animal antics. Volunteers are welcome to help with harvesting, planting, weeding or other farm chores. CSA pickup is also a nice time to visit and chat with other “farm family” members. The Farm is OPEN Fri-Sat-Sun
Is it a good deal?
Yes! On average-over the course of the growing/harvest season we beat retail “organic” or “health food store” prices by 35-45%. Plus, ALL our produce and products are grown or produced locally at the farm or by Farmer Carol's "Hand Picked" farming partners. Most years we estimate members have received over 300 lbs of product...that averages out to about $1.98 lb. Now that is a GREAT DEAL!!!
Do you sell elsewhere? No, as a "Members ONLY" Farm only offer produce/products through our Little Red Hen's Farm Market, Cream of the Crop Food Buying Club or CSA Member programs.
What sort of produce will I get?
We like to focus on heirloom varieties of well-liked vegetables and fruits, and occasionally introduce members to unique culinary delights. Volume and variety vary with season, but you can expect;
Spring: Low volume; cool season greens and lettuce varieties, radish, spinach, spring onions, asparagus, rhubarb, chard, parsley, scallions
Late spring: mixed greens, carrots, peas, berries, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, sour cherries, basil, strawberries PLUS those early spring crops!
Summer: High volume; tomatoes, green-beans, melons, cucumbers, potatoes, squash, peppers, okra, eggplant, onions, garlic, peaches, corn, apples, Grapes & PawPaws.
Fall: Winter squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, figs, onions, cabbage, winter radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, collards, turnips, apples, pears, persimmons. PLUS we grow the spring items like radishes, lettuce, onions and salad items all over again! Produce is always freshly picked!
We also include many of our farm produced products like dehydrated chives and herbs, sour cherry, elderberry and grape jellies and jam, popcorn and potato chips, pickles, kraut and sourdough bread.
What about vacations, do I loose my Share that week?
You'll like these options:
1. Share your share ~ Think about giving your share to a friend, co-worker or neighbor that you really like. You will be greatly appreciated when you share your share-and your farm for a day.
2. Donate that week ~ We'll deliver it to our local soup kitchen. Just let us know when you won't be around and if Donating is your choice..
3. Keep it a little at a time~ Receive extra produce over the next three pick-up weeks. Receive a third extra produce, over the next three pick-ups and get caught up from your "missed" pick-up while you were away.
4. Double up on your missed share. At your next pickup take 2 shares and get caught up immediately.
How does it work?
Review the Membership form, on the sign-up page of this website. Choose your share option(s) and pick-up day/time and mail us your form and payment. You will then be entered into the Members D-Base and contacted to confirm your delivery or pickup schedule!
The 2019/26 week full season CSA offering runs May thru October. There are a variety of share selections including the mid season "Bountiful Harvest" Program, the Fall "Autumn Harvest" Program and our Ever Popular Monthly Shares. 6 years later, we are still extending our products and produce through NOVEMBER & DECEMBER with our Holiday Harvest Boxes. Choose Your Own 9 item Half Bushel or 18 item Full Bushel Box to continue your SUSTENANCE through the Holiday season or to give as a gift that will be appreciated and remembered as DELIGHTFUL and DELICIOUS.
Think about adding Egg and Beef shares to your plan and save a lot of $$$$$ over the season. Details on the Sign-up page.
Scottish Highland Beef-Now available year round, our 30lb Variety Pack of all natural, "Better than Organic" Heritage Highland Beef includes an assortment of steaks, roasts, ground and stew beef PLUS soup bones for that delicious, nutritious stock we're always talking about. Remember highland beef is a leaner, healthier, finer grained beef that you will rave about. A convenient size that will easily fit into most freezers. ONLY $245.00 (Member Price). When we have PLENTY, we also sell our beef to the general public by the half and quarter...check the Highland Beef ordering tab on this site or call for current availability/pricing. (our Members pay .50 per pound less)
If you are interested in becoming a Sycamore Spring Farm CSA Farm Family Member for 2019 Please proceed to the CSA sign up information page on this web-site for further details. Check out the "Cream of the Crop" Food buying Club Page for details on ordering local sourced REAL Dairy Products. Print out the membership application(s) and send it in with your payment. Any Questions-just call 301-788-6980.
THANK YOU for Supporting LOCAL, Sustainable, NO-HARM farming!!