2024 Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Program
Thank You for Supporting our "NO Harm" Farming!
The Sycamore Spring Farm CSA is a project of passion and love for our "Farm Family" members, our Animal Friends and our Planet. We purpose to become a model for Sustainable Living and Educational Outreach to the LOCAL Community.
Sycamore Spring is a small working "homestead" type farm where we raise over 60 different varieties of fruit, vegetables, and herbs alongside free range beef, goats and poultry. Our “Better than Organic” naturally grown products are grown without chemical fertilizers or pesticides, with emphasis on soil health, conservation and permaculture practices.
Membership in the SSF/CSA is available to like-minded folks who pledge in advance to cover the farms expenses to produce their "share" of the farm's produce. These CSA supporters/members understand that farming can be risky and that there is no guarantee of bumper crops. They know the benefits and risks and believe in the importance of preserving the small, artisan farmer who genuinely cares about achieving superior nutritional quality of heirloom and heritage foods while restoring the health and welfare of our planet. Members also experience common bonds of connecting with the land, the farm and farmers of integrity that produce their food.
CSA Members contribute their financial and/or physical support to the farm, understand the inherent risks of crop failures and in return receive the following privileges:
* Weekly produce pickup: a choice assortment of seasonal, natural farm grown produce from Sycamore Spring Farms in MD and PA. We also use "Hand-Picked" (by Farmer Carol) Farm Partners to grow some of our diverse and specialty produce for greater variety and insurance against crop failure.
* Access to wholesome farm produced eggs, honey, poultry, meats, goats milk soaps, jam, preserves and canned goods, baked items, etc.
* Pick-your-own (as nature provides): berries, cherries, tomatoes, figs, grapes, flowers and herbs.
* Farm tours and access/use of cook-out & picnic areas for family & friends.
* Annual farm festival-usually 3rd weekend in October.
* Educational food preparation tips, health & nutrition highlights and preservation information literature.
* Seasonal email newsletters. March, June & September Issues.
* Monthly harvest recipe sheets and Weekly Farm Page FaceBook Posts.
* FREE Workshops and educational videos..
Visit.... a simpler way of life! Convenient to Interstate Routes 70 & 270, we're closer than you ever thought.
The farm is a unique place seeming to take you back to a simpler time. Many remember similar feelings from their childhood visits to a family or neighbor farm. Others experience it for the first time here at Sycamore Spring. Members are encouraged to enjoy the homestead atmosphere and observe the simple gardens and animal antics. Volunteers are welcome to help with harvesting, planting, weeding or other farm chores. CSA pickup is also a nice time to visit and chat with other “farm family” members. The Farm is OPEN Fri-Sat-Sun
Is it a good deal?
Yes! On average-over the course of the growing/harvest season we beat retail “organic” or “health food store” prices by 35-45%. Plus, ALL our produce and products are grown or produced locally at the farm or by Farmer Carol's "Hand Picked" farming partners. Most years we estimate members have received over 300 lbs of product...that averages out to about $1.98 lb. Now that is a GREAT DEAL!!!
Do you sell elsewhere? No, as a "Members ONLY" Farm we only offer produce/products through our CSA Membership Shares, Members ONLY Farm Market and Cream of the Crop Food Buying Club.
What sort of produce will I get?
We like to focus on heirloom varieties of well-liked vegetables and fruits, and occasionally introduce members to unique culinary delights. Volume and variety vary with season, but you can expect;
Spring: Low volume; cool season greens and lettuce varieties, radish, spinach, spring onions, asparagus, rhubarb, chard, parsley, scallions, potted herbs and vegetable plants
Late spring: mixed greens, fresh herbs, carrots, peas, berries, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, sour cherries, garlic scapes, basil, strawberries PLUS those early spring crops continue!
Summer: High volume; tomatoes, green-beans, melons, cucumbers, potatoes, squash, peppers, okra, eggplant, onions, garlic, peaches, corn, apples, Grapes & Paw Paws.
Fall: Winter squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, figs, onions, cabbage, winter radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, collards, turnips, apples, pears, persimmons. PLUS we grow the spring items like radishes, lettuce, onions and salad items all over again! Produce is always freshly picked!
We also include many "Gifts from the Farm" during the growing/harvest season. Farm produced products like dehydrated chives and herbs, sour cherry, elderberry, raspberry and grape jellies and jam, popcorn and potato chips, pickles, kraut and sourdough bread. Please note that these Gift items are never sold, they are gifts to our members only.
What about vacations, do I loose my Share that week?
You'll like these options:
1. Share your share ~ Think about giving your share to a friend, co-worker or neighbor that you really like. You will be greatly appreciated when you share your share-and your farm for a day.
2. Donate that week ~ We'll deliver it to our local soup kitchen. Just let us know when you won't be around and if Donating is your choice..
3. Keep it a little at a time~ Receive extra produce over the next three pick-up weeks. Receive a third extra produce, over the next three pick-ups and get caught up from your "missed" pick-up while you were away.
4. Double up on your missed share. At your next pickup take 2 shares and get caught up immediately.
How does it work?
Review the Membership form, on the sign-up page of this website. Choose your share option(s) and pick-up day/time and EITHER pay on this site in our web-store OR mail us your completed sign-up form and payment. You will then be entered into the Members D-Base and contacted to confirm your delivery or pickup schedule!
The 2024/26 week full season CSA offering runs May thru October. There are a variety of share selections including a 7 week extended program, the mid season "Bountiful Harvest" Program, the Fall "Autumn Harvest" Program and our Ever Popular Monthly Shares.
Holiday Harvest Boxes - For 10 years, now we are offering the Delightful and Delicious Holiday Harvest Boxes. Choose Your Own 9 item Half Bushel or 18 item Full Bushel Box to provide those extra staples that will be used for your Holiday meal preparation or to give as gifts throughout the Holiday Season. Custom packed for you and available each week during November and December. Gifts from the farm are always appreciated and remembered!
Think about adding Egg and Beef shares to your plan and save a lot of $$$$$ over the season. Details on the Sign-up page.
If you are interested in becoming a Sycamore Spring Farm CSA Farm Family Member for 2024 Please proceed to the CSA sign up information page on this web-site for further details. Print out the membership application(s) and send it in with your payment OR Pay on this Website. Any Questions-just call 301-788-6980.
THANK YOU for Supporting LOCAL, Sustainable, NO-HARM farming!!